No new answers on Greenwich & Woolwich tunnels
Leader Chris Roberts declined to answer questions last night as Greenwich Council’s cabinet met to discuss the collapse of the scheme to refurbish Greenwich and Woolwich foot tunnels.
The cabinet met to agree on a course of legal action to recover funds from the three contractors involved in the £11m project, who were kicked off the job in December last year.
Conservative leader Spencer Drury criticised a report into the failure, saying it lacked “clarity about what had and hadn’t been done” in the tunnels since work began early in 2010.
He pointed to the frequent breakdowns of the new lifts at Greenwich, installed at the beginning of this year.
“I got the implication you thought the lifts were furnished, but that’s not the experience of tunnel users,” he said.
However, Cllr Roberts said he would ask officers to write to him with answers, adding he did not want to discuss what would be in a new contract to complete the work.
“We will publish full figures when they’re agreed, but I don’t to big the contract up,” he added.
Chief executive Mary Ney said the identity of who will lead the council’s review of the project should be known by the end of the week.
Under questioning from cabinet member John Fahy, she added the council’s role in the fiasco will be thoroughly examined.
Saturday update: Apologies for the lateness of this, but here a recording of the discussion, chaired by Chris Roberts, featuring assistant chief executive John Comber, Conservative leader Spencer Drury, chief executive Mary Ney, and cabinet member John Fahy.