Knife incident at Westcombe Park station

It’s not clear exactly what happened, and I’m sure others will fill in the story later, but as I type the Kent-bound platform at Westcombe Park is closed, and about half-an-hour ago I saw a policeman retrieve a kitchen knife from the track. Hopefully it isn’t a serious incident.

All of which prompts me to ask – when was the last time you saw police or security guards on a Southeastern train after 8pm? Maybe twice in the past year, for me – and one of those was New Year’s Eve.

11:05PM UPDATE: Thanks to Michael Ephraim, who tells me via Twitter: “I was on the train. A gang of youths were fighting and one of them a big kitchen knife. not what I was expecting on the way home.”

28 March, 2011 at 10:47 pm

1. Well I would have been absolutely terrified to get caught up in something like that on my way home. Grim.

Brenda

29 March, 2011 at 10:25 am

2. As I Tweeted last night, in light of this incident it’s not very encouraging to know that Westcombe Park’s local police station is essentially an office area of some description, not a public-facing station. Even then, it’s in such a poor state of overgrowth and external disrepair that it looks like it’s completely out of action.

If anyone *had* information about a crime, needed to make a plea for help, or had some lost property to hand in, they have to go elsewhere. Nearest stations are at least 30mins walk away – hardly convenient or confidence-inspiring.

Abstractnoise

29 March, 2011 at 2:59 pm

3. [...] there was the incident a couple of nights ago at the local train station, with trains diverted while a knife was apparently recovered from the tracks.  It’s not terribly encouraging to know that quite a nasty fight apparently took place in [...]

4. Interested in what Abstractnoise has to say about the general state of Westcombe Park Station – about which I could write several very large volumes!!! Can I encourage Abstractnoise to contact me (mary.mills@greenwich.gov.uk) if he/she is not already one of the regulars on this subject.

Mary