A little bit of housekeeping

Hello kind reader! Just a quick note to say thank you for your support in making 853 the best weblog written by a slightly grouchy resident of Charlton, south-east London. (Well, maybe the second-best, anyway). It’s all barking at the moon without your considered responses.

Speaking of responses, I’ve introduced a comments policy, mainly because I’ve had to flex the moderation tools a little bit in the past week or so. Essentially, it’s don’t be rude, be nice, and don’t spam.

I’m also taking action to deal with a couple of sockpuppets – those who create multiple online identities. I don’t want to have to make all commenters register, so please, create one username, and stick with it – WordPress will reward you after a while by letting you skip the moderation process, and all will be happy. Don’t like it? Start your own blog, then.

I should point out that neither of the sockpuppets is a well-known Greenwich-based journalist who’s been accused of it – but one is somebody who’s used multiple names to personally attack that person. Yup, struck me as odd, too. Like I said – please, create one name, and stick with it. Thank you.

30 June, 2009 at 11:09 am

Posted in housekeeping

1. God – I’m so naive – I’d never even heard of the concept of sock puppetry.

How did you know, though?

The Greenwich Phantom

30 June, 2009 at 1:52 pm

2. WordPress logs the unique IP number of every internet connection used, as well as the ISP. The use of language, and certain spelling errors, is a giveaway, despite the multiple names and “joke” e-mail addresses. I think the other one is well-intentioned, but I can’t be having two separate names for what I know is the same person.

As I’m sure you know as well, blogs can attract spiteful pedants like moths to a flame :-)

darryl853

30 June, 2009 at 2:02 pm

3. That gardening history lecturer. He was a one wasn’t he… ;-)

Stuart

30 June, 2009 at 4:34 pm

4. Not him. He post/ed under different names here (as Exit, Pursued by A Bear) and on the Phantom’s site (Capability Bowes), though. And never did answer why he tried to tell a GP reader Greenwich Park would be closed for “9 months to absolutely everyone” during 2012:

He also has it in for the venerable Diamond Geezer, accusing him of whingeing as Capability Bowes here and as Exit, Pursued by a Bear, has a strop here. Nice bloke.

darryl853

30 June, 2009 at 5:30 pm

5. I’m actually amazed how few idiot spiteful commenters there are. It’s just a shame that some are so damned persistent.

diamond geezer

30 June, 2009 at 6:56 pm

6. I might go and find some typographical errors on that bloke’s blog. Just to see how these guys get their rocks off. You never know, I might like it.

Stuart

1 July, 2009 at 11:46 am

7. I once drew an analogy between a blog and a pub.

Everybody is welcome until they behave in a way that gets them ejected. It might be a ‘public house’ but I’m the landlady and my say is final.

It’s in my interests to have a large happy bunch of customers, so I’m not going to bar someone for being fally-down drunk, although I might strongly suggest they go home and sleep it off, and come back tomorrow sober.

Gert