World’s glummest man says: “Vote Labour in Greenwich”

(8PM UPDATE: I bet they are glum now- Adam has trumped me over at Tory Troll, identifying Mrs Glum as Labour Party activist and wannabe councillor Miranda Williams. I thought she looked familiar as well – and yes, it was her that made an odd contribution to March’s Greenwich Olympics meeting at Mycenae House. Oh, and here is Mr Glum“apparently the worlds glummest man at 6.30 am!”.)

Well, it makes a refreshing change from featuring happy, smiling couples, I guess… reckon the photographer said “say sleaze!” and they didn’t find the joke very funny?
miserable_man
“But I don’t want to appear in the leaflet!”
- “Shut up or I’ll shave your beard off.”
“But I like my beard! And look at that cobblers down there about leisure centres – they shut my local gym to pay for all that! And since when has the Labour party ever fought for ‘better train services’? They can’t even force the private train firms they created to take Oyster cards. And why is getting to North Greenwich tube such a pain in the arse?”
- “Look, if you don’t stop moaning, I’ll make you read every back issue of Greenwich Time while doing an impression of the council leader. Now shut up and look grateful!”
“And this street looks a mess as well. Does anyone ever come around and clean it?”
- “Now he’s already taken the picture! And you’re still moaning! Honestly, you should be proud to appear in every letter box in the borough.”
“I suppose it’ll increase the recycling rates…”

26 May, 2009 at 12:05 pm

1. The train improvements will make it easier for them to get around London – aka, Greenwich is such a crap place that we can’t wait to escape?

IanVisits

26 May, 2009 at 12:42 pm

2. Maybe grim-faced rather than glum, showing credit-crunch stoicism; and his wife looks like she just pinced his arse.

Such lovely light for a photoshoot too..

Richard Castle

26 May, 2009 at 4:39 pm

3. the private train firms the Tories created, shirley?

johnband

26 May, 2009 at 6:05 pm

4. So are both those cars in the background theirs, then?

BristleKRS

26 May, 2009 at 7:04 pm

5. Typical, eh, you go on holiday and the story moves on the moment you leave the country: http://torytroll.blogspot.com/2009/05/greenwich-labour-on-side-of-greenwich.html

John Band – It was a Labour government that privatised Southeastern in 2006, and has continued the policy of train privatisation begun by the Conservatives in 1994.

darryl853

26 May, 2009 at 8:11 pm

6. So daryl – as a green party member can you categorically state that the green party have never used their members on their leaflets and portrayed them as residents?

In fact can any party claim that?

Pray do tell…bearing in mind the leaflets are out there as evidence…

Simon

28 May, 2009 at 11:57 pm

7. Hello Simon, sorry for the delay in replying, I´m somewhere sunny watching bands at the moment.

As far as I know, the Greens in Greenwich haven´t done that (they usually issue newsletters instead). I´d be unimpressed if they had done, and I´d be unimpressed with anyone who did it, of whatever political stripe.

I´m not quite sure what your point is, though. Sure, it´s a minor fabrication, but it´s still a fabrication. Why should I trust anyone on the bigger issues if they can´t even be honest in a leaflet? And to imply, as you do, that just because all the other parties supposedly do this makes it okay for another party to do this is just a little odd.

I don´t think I´m asking for an impossible to achieve level of integrity, but your response, and some of the responses on Adam´s blog, do seem to highlight how distant many local political parties, for a number of reasons such as declining membership, have become from the people they seek to represent. And I wouldn´t exclude any party from that criticism. The task now is to fix that, not patronise people by telling minor porkies in leaflets.

(Oh, and since you gave your email as “liars at hotmaildotcom”, can I take it you are a fan of the experimental rock three-piece playing at the festival I am at?)

darryl853

29 May, 2009 at 4:36 pm

8. I don’t think I see much moral difference betwixt this getting activists to pose as common or garden residents who just happen to support Labour and endorsing a cheesy ‘quote’, and the BNP’s strategy of using stock photos with quotes they made up.

(and I do believe the thing that swung Crossrail in our favour was the private developers promising to build the station, basically, wasn’t it?)

Rev. Dolly

30 May, 2009 at 11:50 am

9. Daryl, forgive me as my memory is slightly hazy, but wasn’t Labour elected on May 1 1997, but that’s just nitpicking.

Do I detect a certain level of suggestion that the Greenwich Time is anything short of a piece of neutral journalistic brilliance… Surely not!!!! Haha.
    I quite enjoy the blog by the way, it’s good to see someone holding the local politicians to account.

Louis Mclean Wait

2 June, 2009 at 11:20 pm

10. [...] To an extent, this happens anyway – Adam at Tory Troll did some digging around after I made a cheap joke at the expense of Greenwich Labour party and got a proper story out of [...]

11. [...] what the hell was going on. I also spent some time with a man readers of the blog will know as Mr Glum – my opponent Miranda Williams’ partner. He was actually anything but glum, especially [...]