Attention Woolwich! Attention drones!

Attention Woolwich! Attention drones!
Woolwich! Watch the new big screen! Forget your town centre is a tip! Watch the screen! Watch! WATCH IT!

(Reckon they’ll have the balls to do Greenwich Time TV on there? Or they’ll parrot out recycling statistics or something else to proclaim that we are living in a golden age? Actually, it’s probably something to do with the Olympics as Waltham Forest, has got one in Walthamstow, another once-proud town centre in decline. But hey, if you’re living in a mess, the first thing you do first is get yourself a huge flash telly, isn’t it?)

19 May, 2009 at 2:16 am

1. OMG – I am SO 20th Century. I heard they were putting up a screen. I thought they meant a big white blank screen for hosting outdoor movies for the good burghers of Woolwich. Is that charmingly old-fashioned or just sad?

The Greenwich Phantom

19 May, 2009 at 8:34 am

2. I can’t see Woolwich listed, but I think this is part of the BBC’s Big Screens scheme – “a unique collaboration between the BBC, LOCOG and UK local authorities”.

Rob

19 May, 2009 at 9:18 am

3. Truly hideous. I give it a week before it’s vandalised.

AdamB

19 May, 2009 at 9:30 am

4. It’s been there quite a few weeks now and it’s doing okay. I kinda like it, in that I think a big screen is a great idea. Honest. But it’s in the wrong place. There’s a big screen in Bradford, a town I’m very taken with, but it’s part of a development of bars and touristy stuff in a big open pedestrian space and seems to fit nicely there.

Rev. Dolly

19 May, 2009 at 3:58 pm

5. Great photo!

Deptford Dame

20 May, 2009 at 10:31 am

6. Big screens work better in big cities – the one in Manchester is very good because it’s in a place where things happen and where people naturally gravitate to.

Most people’s instincts in Woolwich are usually something along the line of “let’s get the hell out of here” and not to hang around, unless they’re drinking the local delicacy of White Lightning.

darryl853

20 May, 2009 at 10:43 am

7. I saw them putting this up weeks ago and assumed it was something to do with the Marathon. I cannot believe that they wasted time and money putting something like that in Woolwich… and I have to agree with Adam – not time at all before it is vandalised!

Nat@London Calling

22 May, 2009 at 6:19 pm

8. It’s still there, in one piece, tagless.

If it lasts another fortnight, drinks in the Great Harry on you doubters? :-)

Rev. Dolly

23 May, 2009 at 9:55 am

9. Are you paying? :-)

darryl853

24 May, 2009 at 1:01 am

10. So that’s what council tax goes on? Joy of joys…
    I can just see myself having to touch my toes in front of it 10 years from now…

Louis Mclean Wait

2 June, 2009 at 11:31 pm

11. This pleases me.

Big Brother

9 June, 2009 at 11:48 am

12. Who asked anyone if we wanted it? It’s on all the time very green and inspiring!!!

anne

4 February, 2010 at 5:54 pm

13. [...] the square makes the screen (“attention drones!“) look less of a desperate attempt to distract people from the state of Woolwich, even if [...]

14. It isn’t that bad and Woolwich isn’t that bad I have been to worse places in London and if it is any consolation Richmond isn’t that great neither compared to what it was

There is a lot of redevelopment going on in Woolwich General Gordon Square looks nice, the new council building is interesting it’s changing that is what matters and Sainsbury’s isn’t closing despite a big new Tesco coming as a planning application is going in to do it up

All they need now is to do M and S up and Woolwich be on it’s way

Gabriella Coscia

22 July, 2011 at 10:42 pm

15. [...] Attention drones! Your council has replaced your “graffiti” with educational messages! Remember: “Greenwich will be a royal borough from January 2012. A third of Olympic and Paralympic events…” [...]